Tuesday, May 5, 2009

(Pastry Fairy’s) Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is a recipe so basic and essential that I don’t even remember where my version is from. I know that when I was a kid, the very first cookbook I owned was an old copy (from the 1960s!) of Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book. I still own it, although it’s falling to pieces, and I learned how to bake from it. So it may be that this recipe is from there, or it may be an amalgamation of the countless chocolate chip cookie recipes I’ve read over the years. Either way, it’s delicious and easily multiplied. And no, I’ve never gotten salmonella from eating raw cookie dough, and I don’t know anyone who ever has. Go ahead and eat it.

For twenty cookies

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened but not melted
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups white flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and sugars well by hand or using the paddle attachment on the KitchenAid. Beat in the egg and the vanilla. Dump in the rest of the ingredients and beat it more. The more beating, the better, I’ve found. Drop by tablespoonfuls on a greased or paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. They will look undercooked. This is good. They will keep cooking once you take them out of the oven, since they’re still on the hot baking sheet. If you absolutely must have them crisper, bake for no more than 5 minutes longer. But I prefer my cookies almost gooey, so I don’t do that.

OPTIONAL ADDITIONS

  • Replace some or all of the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips.
  • Add chopped, toasted nuts, about a half a cup.
  • Add dried cranberries. I particularly like cookies with chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment